Stress happens to everyone, and it’s a very normal part of life. Our bodies are designed to react to changes in life in different ways. When there are no points of rest in between bouts of stress, that is when it may become a problem. AFC Urgent Care Norwalk prioritizes your health, including mental health. We can provide resources to help get your stress under control and you feeling happy and healthy.
Signs & Symptoms of Stress
Chronic stress can have both a mental and physical impact on your health. These can lead to other potentially chronic health concerns. Some signs of physical impact include:
- Chest pain or a racing heartbeat
- Trouble sleeping or exhaustion
- Muscle tension or jaw clenching
- Digestive problems
Some mental impacts of stress include:
- Panic attacks
These symptoms are sometimes combined with bad habits such as excessive drinking, smoking, overeating, using drugs, or overindulging in other activities. In some cases, these bad habits can worsen the symptoms mentioned above.
Tips to Relieve Stress
Stress is a natural part of life, so there is no way to truly make it disappear. There are many tips and tricks to try while stressed to help relieve symptoms. Not all tips work for everyone, so it’s best to try many until you find one that works. Some stress relievers can include:
- Exercising is known to help promote happiness for some people. If you feel yourself becoming stressed, try going for a 20-minute walk. It may help to clear your head.
- List out everything you have accomplished throughout the day – not what you missed. Focusing on positive aspects of your day can help to improve your mood.
- Set daily, weekly, and even monthly goals. Having a clear view can help keep your mind clear and focused on your goals.
- Consider speaking with a therapist. Having a third-party person to speak issues through can help to reduce stress and focus on priorities.
Again, stress can not be eliminated completely. Certain activities throughout your daily life may help reduce symptoms of stress, however. Some tactics include:
- Relaxation activities, such as yoga, meditating, or breathing exercises.
- Eating properly and getting plenty of exercise everyday. This can help improve your overall health, not just stress levels.
- Practice gratitude in your daily life- be thankful for everything positive in your life.
- Stay connected with those in your life who can help keep you calm. Having a solid support system is important when dealing with mental health.