Spread by ticks, Lyme disease is a common illness that presents a wide range of symptoms that range in severity. Lyme disease is easiest to treat when it is discovered early on, so it is vital to visit a doctor and get diagnosed early if you are bitten by a tick. Generally, ticks are small brown insects that latch onto your skin or apparel.
At AFC Urgent Care Norwalk, our board certified staff is specialized in providing fast and quick care for Lyme disease. Our doctors can easily diagnose and identify the symptoms of Lyme disease as well as recommend treatment. Below are some fast facts to help recognize symptoms of Lyme disease.
Early Localized Stage:
- Within the first month of a tick bite
- Early symptoms are fever, muscle and joint pain, headaches, swollen lymph nodes, headaches
Early Disseminated Stage:
- Usually within several days or weeks after tick bite
- Symptoms range from Bell’s palsy, severe headaches, shooting pains, heart palpitations and pain and swelling of joints
Late Disseminated Stage:
- Usually several months of years after tick bite with no treatment.
- If left untreated, infections can cause arthritis with severe joint pain and swelling (usually located in the knees) In rare cases, Lyme disease can cause neurological complications such as tingling of the hands or problems with memory.
In the unfortunate event that you are bitten by a tick and are showing symptoms of Lyme disease, contact a physician for treatment immediately. Our walk-in clinic requires no appointments and provides fast and low-cost medical care from board certified doctors. Visit our center at 607 Main Avenue in Norwalk, CT or call 203-845-9100.